Senior Conservation and Design Officer
- Location: Cirencester
- Salary: Up to £33,520 per annum depending on skills and experience
- Hours: 37 hours per week (part-time applications will be considered)
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Closing Date: 08 June 2018
Publica, who deliver services on behalf of Cotswold District Council, is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and committed Senior Conservation and Design Officer. You will join our multi-disciplinary Heritage and Design team, who work with property owners, developers and other partners to protect and enhance the unique natural and historic environment of the Cotswolds.
You will be responsible for delivering high quality conservation and design advice, including advising on a wide range of planning applications and pre-applications (from alterations to major urban extensions); providing input and/or acting as a case officer for listed building consents and other related applications; input to major regeneration projects and planning policy; preparing conservation area appraisals and boundary reviews; addressing heritage at risk issues; and enforcement.
You will be an experienced conservation and design professional, who has worked within the planning system, including for a UK local authority. You will have a relevant post-graduate qualification and extensive knowledge of all aspects the historic built environment.
- To promote the understanding, conservation, management and enjoyment by the general public of the historic environment.
- To advise colleagues, Councillors and the general public on conservation and urban design matters.
- To provide conservation and urban design advice at all stages in the Development Management process, including pre-application advice, determination, appeals, presentations at Planning Committee and condition compliance, to ensure high standards of architectural and urban design in new development, including the protection and enhancement of heritage assets.
- To act as Case Officer for stand-alone listed building consent and other related applications.
- To instigate or support enforcement and prosecution work in respect of any illegal or unauthorised work that affects heritage assets.
- To prepare conservation area appraisals and boundary reviews.
- To contribute to the preparation of relevant local plan policy, including the evidence base, development briefs and supplementary planning documents.
- To promote action to address heritage at risk issues.
- Honours degree or equivalent in relevant subject
- Relevant postgraduate qualification or equivalent
- Membership of Institute for Historic Building Conservation (or eligibility for membership)
- Substantial post-qualification experience in a relevant conservation and design role
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of conservation and design, including relevant legislation; architectural history; traditional building construction; and building/architectural and urban design.
- Knowledge of planning legislation, policy and guidance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Data handling and IT skills; design and drawing skills
- Ability to handle a wide range of people with tact and clarity; good negotiation skills
- Ability to prioritise and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work pro-actively and independently or as a team member
- Full driving licence and access to a car for work purposes
- Experience of acting as an expert witness
- Experience of project management, partnership working and budget control
- Relevant qualifications (or experience) in Planning or other Heritage fields (i.e. landscape, biodiversity or arboriculture)
- Experience and good understanding of private, voluntary and statutory sectors
The successful applicant will be a willing team member, who is enthusiastic about their work and able to communicate conservation and design issues to a wide variety of audiences from developers and Members of the Planning Committee to architects and the public. The post-holder will be adaptable and able to work under pressure to tight deadlines. They will make judgements in a reasoned and evidence based manner, while being flexible and innovative in their approach and responsive to customer needs.
- To apply for this vacancy please email your CV with supporting statement; telling us more about your skills, knowledge, qualifications and experience and how they meet the criteria listed above. It’s important that we’re a good fit for each other, so we’d also like to know what’s important to you about working for Publica.
- All successful applicants will need to provide evidence of their eligibility to work in the UK.
- If you do not hear from us within four weeks of the closing date, unfortunately your application has not been successful on this occasion.