Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer
- Location: Cirencester
- Salary: £30,825 - £32,300 per annum
- Hours: 37 hours per week
- Contract Type: Permanent contract
- Closing Date: 29 September 2021
- Interview Date: 04 October 2021
Cotswold District is a great place to live, work and visit, and we are rightly proud of our businesses, communities and residents. We are busy being pro-active and responsive to the needs of our residents and businesses in a fast changing environment.
The Chief Executive is looking for an individual with a ‘can do’ attitude, experience and drive, to be his Executive Assistant. This role offers the right candidate a highly rewarding and fulfilling position.
About the role
The Chief Executive provides the senior officer leadership to the council and has responsibility to ensure the Council’s vision and corporate objectives are delivered. Whether it’s working closely with Councillors, partners, businesses, residents or communities, it’s a fast-paced environment.
To support the Chief Executive in this delivery, your role will include organising day-to-day activities, scheduling meetings, and processing correspondence – in essence taking a leading role in ensuring the smooth running of the council. But the role demands more than just administration skills. It is a true partnership where you will use your diplomacy and organisational skills every day to have a direct impact on the success of the council’s work.
Being highly skilled with ICT is a must, and you’ll need great interpersonal skills, essential for operating within a professional environment. You’ll interact with wide range of people, including residents, VIPs, MPs and officers from other councils. The role will require handing of sensitive information so we will be relying on you to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
The role will clearly suit someone with experience of working as an executive or personal assistant. Experience of working effectively within local government would be advantageous, but not essential as a full induction and training will be provided where necessary to help get you up to speed on how local government operates. You’ll understand the importance of public service and be keen to support our leadership team to achieve all our aims and priorities as a council.
What you’ll do:
- Organise, prioritise and manage the Chief Executive’s diary, emails, events and other correspondence
- Liaise with staff members and Councillors who need to bring matters to the Chief Executive’s attention
- Book travel arrangements and lodgings for the Chief Executive, senior management and staff members
- Attend meetings, take notes and report back with actions to ensure projects are delivered
- Manage projects and follow-up with team members where required
What you bring
Efficiency is more important than education, but if you are a motivated graduate, experienced Executive or Personal Assistant, that’s great. Crucially you will have:
- Exceptional organisational and diary management skills
- High levels of flexibility and adaptability
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent telephone manner
- The ability to multitask and prioritise an ever changing workload, work well under pressure, and meet deadlines
- Great problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to communicate with senior management, councillors and build relationships at all levels across the business and with external contacts
- Strong ICT skills
- Drafting, writing and research skills
- agile working allowing a mix of home and office working (this role will be predominantly office based)
- flexible working arrangements (depending on the role)
- 26 days paid annual leave (pro rata if you are working part time) plus bank holidays and an extra two volunteering days off a year for you to support a charity of your choice
- paid for health cash plan giving you cash back on health, dental and eye care
- pension scheme with a good employer contribution of 5% of your earnings
- paid for Employee Assistance Programme 24/7, providing positive, preventative and supportive advice and counselling to deal with everyday events and issues
- cycle to work scheme
- paid for access to digital financial advice (covering your pension scheme, mortgages and other finances)
You will be employed by Publica Group Ltd which was created by four partner Councils (Cotswold District Council, West Oxfordshire District Council, Cheltenham Borough Council and Forest of Dean District Council) to deliver more efficient and improved services.
If you wish to have an informal discussion about this role, please contact Claire Hughes – Business Manager, Corporate Responsibility firstname.lastname@example.org
If you feel this is the role for you please email your CV and supporting statement detailing how you meet the criteria above by clicking on the ‘Apply for this Position’ icon within this page or by emailing email@example.com
Your application will not be considered if you have not provided a supporting statement, in addition to your CV.
Please note that if you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date shown on the advert, unfortunately your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Accredited of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies - Please state this within your covering statement or in a separate email.
Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire; provide references; proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.
Do you consider that you have a disability?
Publica has signed up to 'Disability Confident' commit to encourage applications by offering an interview to those who declare they have a disability, if the person meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined on the person specification.
Please indicate on your covering letter if this applies to you.