Electoral Services Assistant
- Location: Witney
- Salary: £25,211 - £26,217 per annum
- Hours: 37 per week
- Contract Type: 1 year fixed term contract
- Closing Date: 05 December 2021
- Interview Date: 13 December 2021
An exciting time to join West Oxfordshire District Council
West Oxfordshire District Council is dedicated to maintaining and enhancing West Oxfordshire as one of the best places to live, work and visit in the UK. We provide a range of important services including waste and recycling collections, planning, housing, leisure, community safety and environmental health. The Council has an ambitious Council Plan focussed on a range of important priorities including climate action, strong local communities, and a vibrant district economy. We want to deliver excellent modern services whilst ensuring the financial sustainability of the Council. We also want to continue working in close partnership with our local communities and other important partners.
We are seeking an enthusiastic team player who enjoys a customer facing environment. This new Electoral Services Assistant role will suit a skilled administrator with good attention to detail, with a keen interest to learn and experience all aspects of Elections and associated activities within West Oxfordshire District Council. This role will initially, be placed as a one year fixed term contract, with scope to become a more fixed term position to the right candidate.
About the role…
- You will assist across all aspects of electoral services including processing applications for inclusion on the electoral register and for postal and proxy votes, answering telephone and email enquiries and assisting in the running of all elections and referendums.
- To provide administrative support to the Electoral Services Manager with the conduct of elections, referendums, statutory ballots and other polls, maintaining the staff database, encouraging new entrants and keeping an accurate electoral register
- To gain and utilise knowledge of electoral registration law to process all categories of individual electoral registration applications in accordance with strict deadlines and statutory requirements
- To undertake local data matching, request evidence and handle sensitive information
- To assist in conducting the annual electoral registration canvass of all households
- Provide administrative support to elected members, where required and in relation to elections and electoral functions.
You will need…
- the ability to deal with challenging situations using tact and diplomacy
- experience in a busy administration role within an office environment
- competency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) with the aptitude to learn electoral and associated software packages;
- excellent communication skills
- experience of working with multiple stakeholders from the public and private sector
- have a calm nature with the ability to motivate people around them
- good organisation skills and the ability to meet service delivery requirements to tight deadlines
- GCSEs (5 A-Cs or equivalent, including Maths and English)
- Ability to travel
- Ability to work extra hours, weekends/bank holidays during peak times
For more information about this role please see the Job Description/Person Specification.
If you wish to have an informal discussion about this role, please contact: Sharon Ellison on 01993 861525 or email email@example.com.
Closing date for CV’s: Sunday 5th December 2021 at midnight
Interview Date: w/c Monday 13th December 2021
You will be employed by Publica Group Ltd which was has been created by four partner Councils (West Oxfordshire District Council, Cotswold District Council, Cheltenham Borough Council and Forest of Dean District Council) to deliver more efficient and improved services.
Publica is a unique place to work – we are a local government organisation with a twist! Publica wants to transform the way local services are delivered. To help do this we have started to fundamentally rethink the way we design our services in the digital era so that Publica is a customer-focused organisation driven by real user needs.
What can we do for you…
- agile working allowing a mix of home and office working
- flexible working arrangements (depending on the role)
- 26 days paid annual leave (pro rata if you are working part time) plus bank holidays and an extra two volunteering days off a year for you to support a charity of your choice
- health cash plan giving you cash back on health, dental and eye care
- pension scheme with a good employer contribution of 5% of your earnings
- Employee Assistance Programme 24/7, providing positive, preventative and supportive advice and counselling to deal with everyday events and issues
- cycle to work scheme
- salary sacrifice car lease scheme with huge tax and NI savings to be made on electric cars
- access to digital financial advice (covering your pension scheme, mortgages and other finances)
- generous sickness cover above statutory entitlements
- additional income protection, covering 50% of your salary for potentially a further five years if you are unable to work due to sickness or injury
- life assurance, currently four times your annual salary
Terms and conditions apply
These are just a handful of the benefits that you can enjoy when you join us!
If you feel this is the role for you please email your CV and supporting statement detailing how you meet the criteria above by clicking on the ‘Apply for this Position’ icon within this page. Alternatively, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the recruitment team on 01285 623319.
Your application will not be considered if you have not provided a supporting statement, in addition to your CV.
Accredited of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies - Please state this within your covering statement or in a separate email.
Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire; provide references; proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.
Do you consider that you have a disability?
Publica has signed up to 'Disability Confident' commit to encourage applications by offering an interview to those who declare they have a disability, if the person meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined on the person specification.
Please indicate on your covering letter if this applies to you.