- Location: Witney
- Salary: £45,000
- Hours: 37 per week
- Contract Type: 18 month fixed term contract
- Closing Date: 23 January 2022
Do you want to make a difference to your local communities in West Oxfordshire?
West Oxfordshire District Council is dedicated to maintaining and enhancing West Oxfordshire as one of the best places to live, work and visit in the UK.
We are searching for a proactive Commercial Accountant to assist West Oxfordshire District Council by ensuring that all available external support is secured for our residents.
This role provides commercial support to specialists across the organisation, helping to evaluate and prepare bids for external funding to enable the council to deliver additional services and initiatives over and above those funded by its budget.
You will develop business cases and provide first review and challenge of proposals, guiding the development of viable options through to submission. These funding bids could relate to any area of the Council’s priorities and will enable us to expand the help and support we give to people living in West Oxfordshire. The role will also account for all external funding received by the Council, ensuring that funding conditions are met and reporting is timely and accurate.
You will also have the opportunity to get involved in other areas of the accounting function on a project basis, providing commercial support where needed.
You will need…
- Excellent excel skills
- A recognised accounting qualification (ACMA / ICAEW / ACCA) with a minimum of 5 years post qualification experience
- Experience in modelling business cases and evaluating the financial implications of initiatives
- Confident communication, with both internal stakeholders and external partners
- Experience of reporting to board level with strong presentation and report writing skills
- The ability to constructively challenge projected costs and income to ensure that the Council isn’t exposed to unnecessary risk
- Expertise in building complete and robust business cases that withstand scrutiny
- Good understanding of general operational finance
For more information about this role please see the Job Description/Person Specification.
Closing date for CV’s: Sunday 23rd January 2022 @ midnight
You will be employed by Publica Group Ltd which was created by four partner Councils (West Oxfordshire District Council, Cotswold District Council, Cheltenham Borough Council and Forest of Dean District Council) to deliver more efficient and improved services.
What can we do for you…
- agile working allowing a mix of home and office working
- flexible working arrangements
- 26 days paid annual leave plus bank holidays and an extra two volunteering days off a year for you to support a charity of your choice
- health cash plan giving you cash back on health, dental and eye care
- pension scheme with a good employer contribution of 5% of your earnings
- Employee Assistance Programme 24/7, providing positive, preventative and supportive advice and counselling to deal with everyday events and issues
- cycle to work scheme
- salary sacrifice car lease scheme with huge tax and NI savings to be made on electric cars
- access to digital financial advice (covering your pension scheme, mortgages and other finances)
- generous sickness cover above statutory entitlements
- additional income protection, covering 50% of your salary for potentially a further five years if you are unable to work due to sickness or injury
- life assurance, currently four times your annual salary
Terms and conditions apply
These are just a handful of the benefits that you can enjoy when you join us!
If you feel this is the role for you please email your CV and supporting statement detailing how you meet the criteria above by clicking on the ‘Apply for this Position’ icon within this page. Alternatively, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the recruitment team on 01285 623319.
Your application will not be considered if you have not provided a supporting statement, in addition to your CV.
Accredited of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies - Please state this within your covering statement or in a separate email.
Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire; provide references; proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.
Do you consider that you have a disability?
Publica has signed up to 'Disability Confident' commit to encourage applications by offering an interview to those who declare they have a disability, if the person meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined on the person specification.
Please indicate on your covering letter if this applies to you.