Assistant Conservation and Design Officer
- Location: Cirencester/ (With some home based working)
- Salary: £23,000 - £25,009 per annum
- Hours: 37
- Contract Type: Fixed Term - 12 months
- Closing Date: 13 June 2021
- Interview Date: 21 June 2021
An exciting time to join Cotswold District Council – public service but not as you know it!
Cotswold District is a great place to live, work and visit, and we are rightly proud of our businesses, communities and residents. We are busy recreating a council that’s pro-active and responsive to the needs of our residents and businesses in a fast changing environment. That means we need to be ‘fleet of foot’ and look for innovative and creative ways to deliver against our Corporate Plan priorities.
About the role…
We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative historic environment professional to join our multi-disciplinary Heritage and Design team, who work with property owners, developers and other partners to protect and enhance the unique natural and historic environment of the Cotswolds.
This post could be a great start on a conservation and design career for a recent graduate with a conservation-related degree and there will be opportunities to increase your skills and expertise.
If you are an enthusiastic, friendly individual with a passion for the historic environment and design issues we would love to hear from you.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing technical and administrative support on conservation and design issues
- Advising colleagues, Councillors and the general public on straightforward conservation and design matters
- Assisting in providing historic building conservation advice at all stages in the planning process, from general pre-application enquiries and listed building consent applications to condition compliance etc.
- Acting as Case Officer for stand-alone listed building consent and other related applications.
This is a replacement role covering the Cotswolds, famous for quintessentially English market towns and villages built from honey-coloured stone. With a range of gently rolling hills and the largest area of outstanding natural beauty in England making it a perfect base for walking and cycling, you will have this right on your doorstep. With our agile working ethos: you will be spoilt for choice.
You will need…
- A minimum qualification equivalent to NVQ level 3 or A level, and/or three years relevant experience (relevant postgraduate qualification desirable)
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent to grade C/4 or higher
- Knowledge and experience in assessing complex situations and carrying out inspections if and when required
- Deliver commitments and take ownership of own caseload, reshaping of plans to deliver required outcomes
- Exercise proper and absolute integrity in respect of all confidential matters, including personal and sensitive information;
- There may be a requirement to work at other Publica Group (Support) Ltd and/or client locations to meet the needs of the business
- You will be expected to work reasonable additional hours in line with the needs of the service
- Ability to travel
For more information about this role please see the Job Description/Person Specification.
If you wish to have an informal discussion about this role, please contact: Sophia Price on 01285 623000 or email email@example.com
Closing date for CV’s: Sunday 13th June 2021
Interview Date: w/c 21st June 2021
You will be employed by Publica Group Ltd which was created by four partner Councils (Cotswold District Council, West Oxfordshire District Council, Cheltenham Borough Council and Forest of Dean District Council) to deliver more efficient and improved services.
Publica is a unique place to work – we are a local government organisation with a twist! Publica wants to transform the way local services are delivered. To help do this we have started to fundamentally rethink the way we design our services in the digital era so that Publica is a customer-focused organisation driven by real user needs.
What can we do for you…
- agile working allowing a mix of home and office working
- flexible working arrangements (depending on the role)
- 26 days paid annual leave (pro rata if you are working part time) plus bank holidays and an extra two volunteering days off a year for you to support a charity of your choice
- paid for health cash plan giving you cash back on health, dental and eye care
- pension scheme with a good employer contribution of 5% of your earnings
- paid for Employee Assistance Programme 24/7, providing positive, preventative and supportive advice and counselling to deal with everyday events and issues
- cycle to work scheme
- paid for access to digital financial advice (covering your pension scheme, mortgages and other finances)
These are just a handful of the benefits that you can enjoy when you join us!
If you feel this is the role for you please email your CV and supporting statement detailing how you meet the criteria above by clicking on the ‘Apply for this Position’ icon within this page. Alternatively, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the recruitment team on 01285 623319
Your application will not be considered if you have not provided a supporting statement, in addition to your CV.
Accredited of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies - Please state this within your covering statement or in a separate email.
Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire; provide references; proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years’ employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification
Do you consider that you have a disability?
Publica has signed up to 'Disability Confident' commit to encourage applications by offering an interview to those who declare they have a disability, if the person meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined on the person specification.
Please indicate on your covering letter if this applies to you.