Homelessness Prevention Officer
- Location: Cirencester
- Salary: Up to £22,700 per annum based on skills and experience
- Hours: 37
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Closing Date: 11 April 2018
Publica is seeking to recruit a Homelessness Prevention Officer to provide comprehensive homelessness prevention advice to customers with a range of housing related issues on behalf of the Publica office in Cirencester. While the role is based at a specified site, Publica delivers services on behalf of multiple organisations. Accordingly, when necessary and appropriate, the post-holder will be required to undertake duties on behalf of multiple partners and (occasionally) provide on-site cover for other partners.
The role will include implementing the provisions of the Council’s Choice Based Lettings Scheme and the Homelessness Reduction Act by working closely with the customer and a range of partner agencies to prevent homelessness occurring.
- Undertake initial assessment for all customers approaching the council for assistance with their housing situation to determine what duty, if any that is owed
- Make appropriate referrals to the Homelessness Relief Officers where clients are identified as being either threatened with homelessness and have complex needs or as being homeless that day
- Carry out in depth Housing Needs Assessments for clients who are threatened with homelessness intervening at an early stage to prevent homelessness from occurring
- Motivate and enable individuals to create and progress through individual Personal Housing Plans to find and sustain new housing
- Maintain regular contact with customers and ensure that Personal Housing Plans are regularly updated to reflect any changes and to prevent homelessness from occurring
- Empower individuals/households to find their own solution to their housing crisis
- Assist vulnerable groups to apply for social housing via Homeseeker Plus
- Assess applications to Homeseeker Plus, the Council’s Choice Based Lettings scheme, including making eligibility and banding decisions having full regard to the Homeseeker Plus policy
- Carry out enquiries to verify Homeseeker Plus applications, liaise with Housing Providers and any other Homeseeker Plus administration tasks as required.
- Develop relationships with private sector landlords in order to maximise the use of private sector accommodation in order to prevent homelessness wherever possible
- Liaise with relevant agencies to ensure applicants are able to access appropriate support as identified in their Housing Needs Assessment to prevent homelessness from occurring where possible and to ensure accommodation is maintained into the future.
- Compile and maintain clear case notes during initial assessment and on-going casework, including full interview and assessment reports of all visits, interviews and enquiries, updating records and providing monitoring data as and when required
- Maintain up to date knowledge on Housing and the Homelessness Reduction Act
- Prepare decision letters at each stage of the Prevention process and determine any duty that the Council may owe customers and their households
- GCSE’s in Maths and English or equivalent
- Working Knowledge of the Homeseeker Plus system and policy
- Working knowledge of Housing legislation and the Homelessness Reduction Act
- Substantial experience of working in a Housing related role
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues affecting Housing
- Experience of working with customers with a range of issues and specific needs
- Experience of Multi-agency working
- High level of IT skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent Interpersonal and Customer Service Skills
- Experience of work planning and meeting deadlines for self and for others
- Problem solving skills and the ability to make sound judgements
- High Level of organisational skills
- Ability to work both individually and effectively as part of a team
- Hold a full UK driving licence and be able to travel to meet business needs where necessary
- Professional Housing related qualification (level 2 or above) or willingness to work towards
A highly motivated and innovative individual with the necessary skills to help us implement the principals of the Homelessness Reduction Act
- To apply for this vacancy please email your CV with supporting statement; telling us more about your skills, knowledge, qualifications and experience and how they meet the criteria listed above. It’s important that we’re a good fit for each other, so we’d also like to know what’s important to you about working for Publica.
- All successful applicants will need to provide evidence of their eligibility to work in the UK.
- Please note that this position requires Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance.
- If you do not hear from us within four weeks of the closing date, unfortunately your application has not been successful on this occasion.